Monday, October 28, 2019

171 - “Friends” - Thissraelle - A Tale of Heroes

Here's how you can read the story a week (two scenes) ahead of everyone else!

<<<>>>

"Karendle?"

The room was dark and a bit chilly, in spite of a few glowing embers remaining behind their hearth. Thissraelle was wrapped up tight in her blanket, starting at the ceiling.

"Karendle!" she whispered, "Are you awake?"

After a moment's silence, Karendle responded, "Mmm, hmmm."

"Sorry. Nevermind." Ah, stones! I shouldn't have said anything.

"Well, now I'm up." Karendle rustled her blankets. "What did you want?"

Thissraelle hesitated, "I just had a question, I guess. But I didn't want to wake you. I can ask tomorrow."

Karendle let out an exasperated sigh. "No, it's fine. Go ahead."

Thissraelle rolled onto her side, toward Karendle, and raised up on her elbow. She waved her fingers at the ceiling and spot of bright light appeared, illuminating the inn room. Karendle winced and pulled her hands up in front of her eyes.

"Sorry!" Thissraelle waved again and the spot dimmed a bit. "So, you used that blue mental oculus to contact me when you were trapped in the old Manor house in the woods, right?"

"Yeah. It was DeFrantis' idea. But I did it."

"So, you can contact people other than the guys in the Dragon's Flame."

"Sure. I guess. I don't know how it works, really. You probably do better than me."

Thissraelle lay back down. "I wonder if the Dragon's Flame will know about it if we use it."

"I don't know. I really don't." Karendle sat up. "You want to reach out to DeFrantis, right?"

"I've been thinking about her a lot. She probably heard about the cathedral attack, but she doesn't know anything about what happened to us after."

Karendle twirled her braid on her finger. "And we don't know what happened to them, either. We only know that there were attacks in the city itself. There could have been chapels burning all over."

They looked at each other as that thought sank in. They threw off their blankets and lunged for Karendle's pack resting by the table in the small room. Karendle reached it first and dug for the pouch holding the oculi. She tossed it to Thissraelle.

Thissraelle caught it and handed it back. "You try first!"

"She's a long way away! When I did it before, it was only a few miles from the manor to the monastery. Contacting the Flame guys was in the same city."

Thissraelle waved her hands toward the pouch. "Try it! It's your stone. You know how to make it work." Karendle sighed and shook the large cut sapphire out onto her palm. She closed her eyes and summoned her will. The stone responded with a glow almost immediately.

Thissraelle reached up and supported Karendle's hands, like she had before. "Think of DeFrantis."

"I am!"

"Sorry..."

Thissraelle waited. She could sense their will reaching farther and farther away. She felt... Emptiness. Nothingness. Her mind was dark.

Come on DeFrantis! Where are you?

They kept their hands together, feeling the warmth of the gem. They pushed their will further.

DeFrantis?

What? What's this? DeFrantis' voice sounded faint in their minds.

DeFrantis! Thissraelle’s heart leapt. Karendle and Thissraelle smiled at each other.

What? Who? DeFrantis paused, then realization seemed to come to her. Thiss? Is that you? Am I dreaming? Am I still asleep?

Yes! It’s me! I’m here with Karendle!

Karendle jumped in as well. Yes! We’re here! Are you well?

DeFrantis shrieked with excitement in their minds, and, probably, out loud. Yes, love, it’s Thissraelle. She’s in my mind! There was a pause. She was apparently speaking to someone. Yes, it’s Thiss and Karendle. They’ve reached out to me! They’re alive!

Thissraelle’s eyes widened. Wait. Who are you talking to?

What, just now? DeFrantis thought, That’s just Antonerri.

Antonerri? But you... Didn’t we just wake you? 

Oh, Thiss, it’s been so long! Antonerri and I were wed about a month after you left, after we heard about the horrors in the chapels. We heard nothing for so long. We worried that you had died. But, you’re not dead! Am I really not dreaming this? I’ve had some strange dreams. 

Oh, it’s real! But you’re MARRIED?

DeFrantis laughed. Yes! Married! So you found Karendle?

Karendle interrupted, Yes, she did! 

She and I and Eddiwarth were all deep in the cathedral fight, Thissraelle explained, trying to rescue the poor monks being hurt and killed by the drakes, but we were snatched out when the danger suddenly got too deep. 

Karendle, are you well?

Yes, Karendle thought, and I’m glad to be back as friends. I’m sorry I was so difficult...

DeFrantis was quick to interject, Don’t worry. It’s all fine, now. Eddiwarth is with you?

Well, not at the moment, Karendle thought, but yes, he is travelling with us.

DeFrantis asked, Is he still trying to win Thissraelle over? Thissraelle’s face twisted in a surprised smile. Karendle laughed out loud. DeFrantis went on, I’ll take that as a ‘yes’...

Thissraelle rolled her eyes. Yes, fine, he is. But at least he’s not being as annoying about it as he used to. She felt a tiredness, an emptiness gradually begin to overtake her and she got suddenly very quiet. I have to ask, though, before our time and will run out...

Karendle was still smiling, but her expression shifted to a half frown when Thissraelle continued, When we got back to Twynne Rivers, we found no trace of Granthurg. I tried to reach out to him, but I wasn’t able to find him. Is he...?

Antonerri and I received a short letter from him. It would have to have been written between the time of the attack and our wedding, but it took a long time to get to us. He’s alive, but fearful. He wouldn’t say where he’s going, but did say that he planned to return to Twynne Rivers someday soon. 

He’s alive! Thissraelle breathed deep and let relief wash over her as those words sank in. He’s alive.

Yeah, I was so happy to hear from him, but he didn’t know anything about you or Karendle, either, so I have been really worried. DeFrantis paused, like she was taking deep breaths as well.

Karendle nodded. Thissraelle could feel their will growing low.

I’m a bit afraid as well, DeFrantis. There are some frightening things happening in the world, and I think our adventure in the manor house rescuing the children was just like poking a hornet’s nest with a stick.

Karendle interrupted, Except the hornets may be dragons.

Dragons!

Thissraelle continued, I won’t say where we’re going, because dangerous people with dangerous powers may be checking on us, but we’ll keep contacting you. 

Be careful, Thiss. DeFrantis sighed.

I will. Give Antonerri an extra hug from us. As Thissraelle was saying this, the glow of the oculus faded and she dropped her hands. Karendle did, too. Thissraelle wiped her eyes and choked out the words, “Thank you.” Karendle smiled and reached over to embrace Thissraelle. That felt strange, coming from Karendle, and it was short, but it felt good to be with a friend, and good to know that the others were alive. Thissraelle wished she could be where they were to hug them, as well. She also felt the familiar tiredness of her drained will.

“Well,” she said, “I think I can sleep now.”




<<<>>>



This continues the story of the heroes in Wynne, in Twynne Rivers, in the world of The Hero's Tale, Family Friendly RPGs. Here's more info on The Hero's Tale, and family friendly RPGing. If you like this story, support us at our Patreon!
Thank you: Chet Cox, Genevieve Springer!

Previous Scene, Next Scene
Start the whole story from the beginningStart from where this current story arc begins. Start from where the current story part begins

No comments:

Post a Comment