Thursday, July 19, 2018

“Placing a Breakfast Order” - A Tale of Heroes - Scene 44: DeFrantis

The bright morning sun shone through the slightly smoke-tinted windows of the lower level of the village inn. Its lower angle swept the sunbeams across the tables and floor. There was already activity in the common room, even at this hour.

“Hearye, hearyeall!” A man in a bright red jacket shouted. The pubcrier’s clothing was vivid, the red cloth trimmed in light yellow piping. His hat had long white feathers sweeping toward his back. His appearance, if not his voice, cried out for everyone’s attention, and everyone in the pub turned to give it to him. He lifted a scroll and began reading the day’s news.

“King Hastone III, of House Twynham, may he live long, and protect us all, has issued a decree of a tax of 5 coppers for anyone traveling the roads to and from Twynne Rivers. This includes the western road that follows the Greater Wynne River, to our fair village. This tax will allow the king to provide soldiers to protect the merchant caravans and travellers along these roads.”

The few people in the common room muttered their complaints and turned their faces back to their breakfasts, or to each other.

The crier continued, “This is primarily due to increased danger from brigands and wizards along the vital trading routes.”

As the crier droned on, DeFrantis squinted in the sunlight and looked across the table at Thissraelle. “I don’t understand why wizardry is so despised recently.” Thissraelle shrugged, as DeFrantis continued, “I guess there are always those who use powers to steal or hurt others.” I guess I have, too, but I do try to only use it to protect myself.  Still, I’m not really a full wizard.

Thissraelle leaned forward. “I spent my life hidden away in the Twynne Rivers Guild Towers. All I’ve known is wizards and wizardry. Mages are wonderful people. I don’t understand the fear, either.”

The front door swung open, flooding the floor with morning sunlight. Just as quickly, the light was obscured by a tall silhouette that stepped into the doorway and ducked through. As soon as she recognized the giant, Thissraelle waved. “Granthurg! Over here!”

DeFrantis was surprised. “Didn’t he stay in the inn, too?”

“He insisted on guarding the barge.” She waved again. “Here we are!”

Granthurg stepped over to the table and pulled out a chair. It was clearly too small for him, but it was steady enough to support his weight. “Good morning. I trust you slept well.”

DeFrantis smiled. “I’m not used to beds. It was...” she paused, thinking of what to say, “..oddly restful. I’m very grateful to you both.”

Granthurg nodded and looked around. “Where are the others?”

“I’ve not seen either of them this morning. Antonerri is still asleep, I suppose. Presumably, the bounty hunter has left to return her capture and collect her pay.” DeFrantis hesitated, “She kind of scares me, honestly. I’m not quite sure what to make of her.”

The innkeeper interrupted them with steaming bowls of meal and eggs, and set drinking glasses before them. He stood at the tableside for a moment, looking at them awkwardly. It suddenly occurred to Thissraelle what he was wanting, and she dug into her purse for a few silver pieces. “Does this cover the rooms and the meal?”

“Thank you, miss!”

DeFrantis hung her head.

“What’s the matter?”

“I’m not used to beds, or.. kindness.”

They began eating. After a moment, Thissraelle broke the awkwardness by asking, “Will you begin your search here?”

DeFrantis nodded between bites of egg. Granturg said, “This is the village of Dirae. I heard it’s named for one of its founding settlers. It’s mostly farmers working the land for a few remote nobles. It’s the first trading stop on the westward trip up the Greater Wynne. It’s not a big city, but it might be where they brought the children. I’ve heard there is a dark market here, but I don’t know where. They could have tried to sell the kids there. Of course, now there are brigands in the forest attacking the caravans and even the barges. They could be holding them hostage.”

The two women paused in their breakfast and just stared at the Giant.

“What? I stop here in this village every time we sail up the north river. Granted, it’s not very often, but still, I hear things. People talk, especially the river runners.”

“I’ve been in dark markets before. Maybe I’ll begin there.” She returned to her meal. She didn’t see the concerned glances between her table companions.


<<<>>>


This continues the story of the heroes in Wynne, in Twynne Rivers, in the world of The Hero's Tale, Family Friendly RPGs. Here's more info on The Hero's Tale, and family friendly RPGing.


Previous Scene, Next Scene
Start the whole story from the beginningStart from where this current story arc begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment