Monday, February 3, 2020

195 - “Together” - Thissraelle - A Tale of Heroes

Here's how you can read the story a week (two scenes) ahead of everyone else!

<<<>>>


“Well,” Karendle said, turning away from the railing, “this is all nice and happy and everything, but I’m cold and hungry. We held off on lunch waiting for you. I’m going back inside.” She smiled and slapped Thissraelle on the shoulder, then stepped through the circle to the house behind them. Others voiced their own agreements and moved that way as well. Thissraelle quickly reached out and grabbed Eddiwarth’s hand, holding him back. She drew him to the railing, looking out over the town in the trees.

“I’m cold.” she said, and squirmed her way inside his cloak. She felt his warmth against her back and leaned her head up against his ear. She pulled his cloak as tight as she could in front of her, and his arms reached across her waist. “I’d like to come back here someday, when all this is over.”

In a moment, her mind raced through the memories of the last year. Last winter, I was still stuck in my tower of the Wizard’s Guild, planning my escape. So much has happened since then. I’ve seen poverty and slavery, I met great friends, like Granthurg and DeFrantis, and fought alongside them. I’ve learned so much from Karendle, and now Parith. Things I had lived with for so long are just not true. I’ve had to really grow up. Now, here I stand with Eddiwarth. It feels so nice.

“Yeah, it does feel nice.”

She jumped out of her thoughts. “Are you in my mind?”

“What?” He shifted his head and looked at her. “No! You said that.”

“Out loud?”

“Yes. You said, ‘It feels so nice’, and I said, ‘Yeah.’”

“Hmm.” She looked out over the balcony again and snuggled back up against him. “So I did. And it does.” She could feel his breathing up against her back and see the mist in the air mingling with her own breath.  She smiled, feeling the warmth in her heart and the cold on her face. The snow had all but stopped. Sounds from all around wafted past her in the breeze. Birds in the trees chased what seeds they could find. The elves on the walkways carried on, busy with their tasks, unnoticing. This feels so nice.

After a moment’s hesitation, he said, quietly, “So, ah, where do we go from here?”

She blinked. “We’re going to climb up to Heathrax’s shrine in the Emberfire Mountains. Dragonspine. Weren’t you just cheering for that?”

“Ah. Yeah. I was. But that’s not what I meant.”

Thissraelle smiled again, then answered with badly faked surprise. “Oh, you mean us!”

“Yes, that’s what I mean. It’s been wonderful being close to you these last few days. It’s been nice to have lots of time together while we waited for them to make up their minds about what to do with us all. Still, it’s left me to wonder what we’re doing.”

She turned around in his embrace to face him, and reached her arms up around his shoulders. How can this silly boy who used to irritate me so much be the man that makes me feel so... so light? She looked into his eyes. Well, we’ve both done a lot of growing up, I guess.

“I don’t know. I really don’t. I don’t know where I’m going, and I’m not really sure why I’m going there. I don’t know what will happen up on the mountain. But I love being with you, and I love how you make me feel.” She leaned into him and kissed him. Surprised, he held her tight and kissed back. She settled her cheek next to his and pulled him in tighter. “So let’s just see what happens up there. Together.”

“Together.” He echoed, nodding.

<<<>>>



The End of Part 14


<<<>>>



This continues the story of the heroes in Wynne, in Twynne Rivers, in the world of The Hero's Tale, Family Friendly RPGs. Here's more info on The Hero's Tale, and family friendly RPGing. If you like this story, support us at our Patreon!
Thank you: Chet Cox, Genevieve Springer!

Previous Scene, Next Scene
Start the whole story from the beginningStart from where this current story arc begins. Start from where the current story part begins

No comments:

Post a Comment